The Science of Reading Intervention Program: Assessment-based Instruction
There's never enough instructional time to teach students who struggle with reading.
The Science of Reading Intervention Program: Assessment-based Instruction provides diagnostically-based instructional resources to individualize instruction for students grades 4–adult in 25 minutes per day for 18 weeks. Perfect for early-late schedules or Tier 3 pull-out instruction. Ideal for EL and ESL learners or students in Resource programs with IEPs. A great option for students in continuation school settings or community college and adult literacy programs with self-paced instructional modules.
Although it certainly makes sense to teach a comprehensive word recognition program to all struggling readers to ensure a solid foundation, some students and new transfer students will need second-chance instruction with more intense tutoring and practice in easily-managed small groups and independent practice. Only assessment-based instruction affords teachers the opportunity to address the diverse reading deficits of their students with targeted lessons. Make your instructional minutes count!
If time is limited, why waste instructional time with lengthy assessments?
The diagnostic assessments in this program are different. First, they are quick and easy to administer and grade (formatted in print, audio, and Google forms). Second, each assessment couples with short lessons to target each and every assessment item. And each lesson provides a short formative assessment to determine mastery. You choose which assessments need to be given and to which students.
Diagnostic Assessments with Mastery Matrices
- Vowel Sound Phonics Assessment (10:42 audio file)
- Consonant Sounds Phonics Assessments (12:07 audio file)
- Syllable Awareness Assessment (5:48 audio file)
- Syllable Rhyming Assessment (5:38 audio file)
- Phonemic Isolation Assessments (5:54 audio file)
- Phonemic Blending Assessment (5:53 audio file)
- Phonemic Segmenting Assessment (5:21 audio file)
- Alphabetic Awareness Assessments (10 minutes)
- “Pets” Fluency Assessment (2 minutes per student)
- Heart Words Assessment (5:48 audio file)
- Spelling Assessment (22.38 audio file)
- Grammar and Usage Assessment (15–20 minutes)
- Mechanics Assessment (10–15 minutes)
Corresponding Lessons (all individualized practice except as noted)
- Phonemic Awareness and Alphabetic Awareness Lessons (Small Groups)
- Phonics Lessons (Small Groups)
- Expository Reading Fluency Lessons (YouTube Modeled Readings at 3 Different Speeds)
- Spelling Pattern Worksheets
- Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics Worksheets
- Heart Words and Phonics Games
- Syllabication and Morphology Lessons
- Executive Function Skill Lessons
We Also Recommend