Grammar, Mechanics, Spelling, and Vocabulary Grades 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 BUNDLES
The Grammar, Mechanics, Spelling, and Vocabulary Grades 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 BUNDLES include these full-year grade level digital download (eBook) programs: Teaching Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics, Differentiated Spelling Instruction, and the Common Core Vocabulary Toolkit.
Each of the three programs had both printable and digital options. The Teaching Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics includes interactive Google slides, forms, and sheets. Check out the quick video HERE. Both the Differentiated Spelling Instruction and Common Core Vocabulary Toolkit have fillable worksheets.
PREVIEW THE GRADE 4 PROGRAM WITH LESSON SAMPLES HERE.
PREVIEW THE GRADE 5 PROGRAM WITH LESSON SAMPLES HERE.
PREVIEW THE GRADE 6 PROGRAM WITH LESSON SAMPLES HERE.
PREVIEW THE GRADE 7 PROGRAM WITH LESSON SAMPLES HERE.
PREVIEW THE GRADE 8 PROGRAM WITH LESSON SAMPLES HERE.
Each grade level BUNDLE was designed as an easy-to-teach, no prep, minimal correction program to help your students master each of the Common Core Anchor Standards for Language. Perfect for new teachers, the grammatically challenged, and grammar nerds, as well! The separate grade level programs provide perfect instructional continuity among the grade levels (4, 5, 6, 7, and 8). Get the teacher's guide, accompanying student workbooks, biweekly tests, diagnostic assessments and corresponding remedial worksheets, and more in this value-packed BUNDLE.
Grade Level Instruction (Teacher's Guide and Student Workbooks)
- 56 language conventions (grammar, usage, and mechanics) lessons (L.1,2). The teacher reads and explains the scripted twice-per-week lessons. In their accompanying student workbooks, students annotate the full lesson text (no time-consuming copying) to respond to the teacher's grammar and mechanics instruction, complete the practice section, fill in the sentence diagram, respond to the mentor text in the writing application, and take the formative assessment. Students self-correct and edit from the teacher's guide display.
- 28 grade level spelling tests, spelling sorts, and summative assessments (L.2). The teacher administers the weekly spelling pretest. Students self-correct spelling pretests, complete spelling pattern sorts in their workbooks, create their own personalized spelling word lists, and posttest.
- 56 vocabulary worksheets (L.4,5,6). Students learn and practice context clues, multiple meaning words, Greek and Latin word parts, figures of speech, word relationships, connotations, academic language (developed from the research-based Academic Word List), and denotations with dictionary skills sections in their workbooks. Students play games with the vocabulary study cards, provided for each lesson, to review for the tests.
- Students take 28 biweekly grammar, usage, mechanics, and vocabulary tests. These short 20-minute tests require students to define, identify, and apply what they have learned.
Individualized Assessment-based Instruction
Grammar, Mechanics, Spelling, and Vocabulary also includes resources for teachers to meet the diverse instructional needs of individual students. Perfect for English-language learners, special education, and remedial students! The program provides reliable and valid diagnostic grammar and usage, mechanics, and spelling assessments* to determine specific remedial needs. The assessments are administered whole-class and mastery recording matrices allow the teacher to organize instructional materials and to monitor the progress of individual students at a glance.
Teachers individualize instruction according to the results of each diagnostic assessment with corresponding grammar, usage, and mechanics worksheets, spelling pattern worksheets, and language worksheets. Each targeted worksheet includes definitions, examples, writing hints, a practice section, and a short formative assessment. Students self-correct and edit the worksheets and the teacher reviews the short formative assessment in a quick mini-conference.
In other words, students can keep up with grade level standards, while they catch up with unmastered content and skills. This program provides every assessment-based resource you need to differentiate (individualize) instruction with a simple, but effective classroom management plan.
Here's what teachers are saying about the Grammar, Mechanics, Spelling, and Vocabulary program...
"The most comprehensive and easy to teach grammar, mechanics, spelling, and vocabulary program. I'm teaching all of the grade-level standards and remediating previous grade-level standards. The no-prep and minimal correction design of this program really respects my time. At last, I'm teaching an integrated program–not an ineffective collection of DOL grammar, spelling and vocabulary lists, and assorted worksheets. I see measurable progress with both my grade-level and intervention students. I love the scripted lessons and training videos! BTW... get the bundle. Once you buy one of the separate programs, you're going to want it all, and the BUNDLE is a much better deal."
The FREE Diagnostic Spelling Assessment is provided in the hopes that teachers will purchase the Differentiated Spelling Instruction program to teach to each test item.
*DIAGNOSTIC SPELLING ASSESSMENT
The 102 item assessment includes the most common previous grade-level spelling patterns.
- Grade 4: K-3 spelling patterns (#s 1-64)
- Grade 5: K-4 spelling patterns (#s 1-79)
- Grade 6: K-5 spelling patterns (#s 1-89)
- Grade 7: K-6 spelling patterns(#s 1-98)
- Grade 8: K-7 spelling patterns (#s 1-102)
The test items are grouped by spelling patterns e.g., the four long /i/ spellings, to make posttest analysis simple. All spelling words are multi-syllabic to prevent students from identifying the words by “sight spellings” and to require recognition of the sound-spelling patterns within the context of syllables.
Choose the Diagnostic Spelling Assessment format which best suits your needs:
1. Paper Only: Teacher dictates the number of test items assigned to the grade levels, following the written administrative protocol. Students take the test on binder paper. Teacher corrects assessments according to directions and records spelling deficits on the Spelling Patterns Assessment Mastery Matrix.
2. Audio and Paper: Teacher plays the 22:32 “slow speed” Diagnostic Spelling Assessment audio file for grades 4, 5, and 6 students or the 17:26 “fast speed” Diagnostic Spelling Assessment audio file for grades 7 and 8 students. The audio file includes all administrative directions. Students take the test on binder paper. Teacher corrects assessments according to directions and records spelling deficits on the Spelling Patterns Assessment Mastery Matrix.
3. Google Forms: Teacher shares either the Diagnostic Spelling Assessment Google Form with the 22:32 “slow speed” for grades 4, 5, and 6 students or the form with the “fast speed” for grades 7 and 8 students. Note that incorrect spellings with be accompanied by the Google red squiggly line indicating a spelling error. Students may be tempted to right click the word and select the correct spelling; however, if the teacher tells the students the purpose of the test and directs them not to self-correct, students will generally follow instructions. Telling students that they will receive the same amount of credit whether the spelling is accurate or not, and using the “fast speed” audio also helps students avoid the temptation of cheating. Teacher uploads the students’ Google Forms into the Spelling Patterns Assessment Mastery Matrix Google Sheets.
Resources: Diagnostic Spelling Assessment Google Form with the 22:32 “slow speed” audio file for grades 4, 5, and 6 students or the Diagnostic Spelling Assessment Google Form with the 17:26 “fast speed” audio file for grades 7 and 8 students; Spelling Patterns Assessment Mastery Matrix Google Sheets.
*GRAMMAR, USAGE, AND MECHANICS DIAGNOSTIC ASSESSMENTS
Use this 45 item assessment to determine student's knowledge of parts of speech, subjects and predicates, types of sentences, fragments and run-ons, pronoun usage, modifiers, verb tenses and verb forms.
Mechanics Assessment (Paper Copy)
Use this 32 item assessment to test students' ability to apply correct usage of commas, capitalization, and all other essential punctuation.
Diagnostic Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics Assessment (Google Apps)
- Diagnostic Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics Assessment (self-correcting Google forms)
- Diagnostic Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics Assessment recording matrix (Google sheets)