- Phonemic Awareness and Phonics Toolkit provides the diagnostic assessments, materials, activities, and worksheets that classroom teachers and special education teachers need to remediate significant reading deficits. Designed for third grade through high school students, these resources are perfect for classroom differentiation, EL/SDAIE classes, and Tier I and II Response to Intervention. Written by MA reading specialist and classroom teacher, Mark Pennington, both assessments and instructional activities are user-friendly and require minimal techer prep. Teachers with little or no reading training will be able to teach "on the fly" and see their students make significant progress. Here's what this toolkit offers:
- Get five phonemic awareness, one alphabetic assessment,and two phonics diagnostic assessments with recording matrix to enable teachers to differentiate instruction and monitor individual progress. Each of these assessments is multiple-choice and designed for whole class administration. You can even use Scantrons® with these simple, yet comprehensive assessments! Each of the tests has been field tested and the results are reliable and prescriptive.
- Get extensive phonemic awareness activities that perfectly correspond with the phonemic awareness assessments. Practice the "New Alphabet Song" (Mp3 file) and fill in the gaps to ensure a solid foundation for learning the phonetic code. Activities have been designed to appeal to older children and teenagers and build on their oral language skills.
- Get small group phonics workshop activities and worksheets that exactly correspond with the vowel sounds and consonant blends phonics assessments. Each of these activities/worksheets provides practice and a short formative assessment to ensure mastery of each phonics component. Of course, answers are provided.
- Get a set of colorful animal sound-spelling cards for phonics games and practice. Again, the animal cards are designed with older children and teenagers in mind. The animals are photographs, not cartoons.
- Get an extensive set of phonics word cards, each with numerous examples of each sound-spelling, to practice blending and reading word fluency, These study cards are ideal for games such as Concentration, Go-Fish, and Quick Picks.
Materials in the Phonemic Awareness and Phonics Toolkit (121 pages) have been selected from the comprehensive reading intervention curriculum: Teaching Reading Strategies, by the same author. The full curriculum includes content of this book and audio CDs, comprehension worksheets, flashcards, games, and expository reading fluencies, each leveled and recorded at three reading speeds on nine CDs.